Sunday 7 October 2012

Twisted Arch

I think a few of you might like this one.

 First of all i had to build two twisted piers, the bit of plywood above is used to plumb down to to maintain the twist. (I had to cut the square out of the middle.)
 Me posing in front of a job well done.
 I have not got much money, so i printed out all the plans on my home printer. The above image is of the 1:1 scale plans of the brick boxes being stuck down ready for cutting.
 then they get screwed together with my faithful Makita screwdriver.
 The bricks then go in the brick boxes and are marked ready for cutting.
 Yeah, it was messy!
 I put two screws in the board so the bricks didn't slip.
 I only cut about a third of the bricks needed here.
 A random picture of my plans.
 the arch former I designed is assembled and the brick boxes showing where the bricks will go.
 Ready for the build.
 When building any arch you need to build it up evenly from each side.
Nearly there.
 Finished.

It's amazing what you can build with a Cauliflower; Happy days!

9 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Would you be willing to give me instructions on how to construct a template for the arch and piers like you have built. Would be more than willing to pay for your time! Jaredlori.goering@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What was the purpose of dissecting the circle and how did you determine how to cut your arch and what bricks to cut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The purpose of dissecting the circle is to create a template that fits around your first course of bricks. Every course above is plumbed down to the dissections to keep the twist even. If i remember correctly it was 9 courses until it repeated.

      To make the arch former I used a 3d modeling package called blender3d. It is constructed the same as any axed arch with the exception of the twist.

      Delete
  3. Where can you buy a twist and square.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Would you be willing to give me instructions and autocad files on how to construct a template for the arch.
    Thanks
    Rezasafari@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Would you be willing to give me instructions and autocad files on how to construct a template for the arch.
    Thanks
    Rezasafari@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I am Kuldeep Solanki from India, would you please tell how to design a template for this kind of spiral arch.
    Email: kuldeep.solankim1209@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome nice work im a mason and have done a lot of brick work arches and weaving but never a twisted arch. Thanks for the pictures and instructions i will be building one soon.
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi mate,
    Awesome job keep it up,
    iv tried doing the twist pier -all good
    Won’t try the arch lol.

    ReplyDelete